Monday, November 27, 2006

As the River Rises

"Oh give me a home
Where the nutria roammmm
And the deer and the racoons playyyyyy..."

We've had record rains and the river has overflowed its banks. Lucy sits on watch as dusk falls, waiting for the nutria to swim out of the cold water and dry themselves on the grass below our window. Usually, she barks. I had to be told they were nutria, of course. I had hopes that they were some kind of beaver (the state animal!) with a skinny tail. Nope. Nope. They're just big water rats.

I won't make the obvious parallels to politics. It's just too easy. But I was encouraged when, in D.C. last week, I heard that a friend's rabid Republican sister who'd moved to town a year ago to kill environmental progress had quit her job and was moving back to where she came from. A victim of the election. Score!

And so the tide turns in Washington. These are nice times to be there. I'd miss it if it were still the place I once loved. Instead I'm learning to love another place.

1 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you love .... Salem??!!
Go figure...

I heard that at one time, there was a plan to raise Nutria as a source of protein for the masses. I suppose it would have been 'nutritious', but I believe that was Trumped by the 'Oh that's gross!' factor. Did I conflate 'the Donald' with a soggy water rodent? Well, if the shoe fits...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home