Sunday, October 08, 2006

If Women Ran the World


I'm on a radio show next Saturday morning with my former town's mayor, discussing "if women ran the world." So I've been thinking about that a lot.

Then the Mark Foley thing happened and they threatened to end the page program in Congress. I got to thinking how that outcome would make our congressional representatives equal to the Taliban, whose desires were/are so out of control that the women near them must hide their face, head and bodies under burkas. This is the only way to keep the men from being driven mad with desire. [See above.] Much like members of Congress and those nubile pages.

If women ran the world, these choices would not be an option. Man would have to simply keep it in their pants and shut up about it. I get attracted to men all the time -- okay occasionally -- but somehow I manage to not commit a crime against them.

Maybe I have more faith in the fortitude of men than the members of Congress do. I believe they can be trusted around young boys and girls, for the most part.

Then there's that conundrum: do you have to be an asshole to run for Congress or does running for Congress make you an asshole? (Transpose words like "child abuser" in appropriate places in that sentence... or other nouns... and it still works. The transitive property of scum.)

I think it's time we stopped stooping to the lowest common denominator in what behavior we'll accept of our "leaders." I think it's time we demanded more and left the kiddies alone. Whaddayasay?

My only residual fear: that this crisis will drive Karl Rove and his minions to unexpected depths this October to find a Surprise worth taking our attention away from Mark Foley and Dennis Hastert.

Hold onto your hats. It's gonna be a bumpy ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home