Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Anticipation

In anticipation of launching my candidacy for DC Mayor-in-Exile, I've been thinking a lot about the problems of the Democratic party. It came to me in the shower - though it's been said before by others in different ways.

The Democratic Party has no unified field theory. The Republicans have: What's good for business is good for America. Business must make money.

What do the Dems have? What's good for Social Security is good for America? Children must get educated? Yawn.

The Dems are lost in the forest and can't find their way out for all the damn trees. Simplify and repeat, people. Simplify and repeat.

What is the belief that underpins the priorities of families, of single people, of gay people, of the elderly, disabled, etc., etc? What do all those who aren't making over $100,000/year have in common? What's the tag line that could make them all nod their heads and think, "Of course!"

I did a spit-take when Kaine did the Democratic reponse to the SOTU. His responsorial phrase, aimed at inspiring the crowds, was "There is a better way."

Hold it. Isn't that the slogan of Robert Redford's character in the Candidate? "There's got to be a better way," I think it was. That level of sloganeering only works in America circa 1972 with a candidate as handsome and charismatic as RR. The last frame of the movie is him having won his Senate seat, looking at his campaign manager and going, "Now what?"

I'm not going to release any gems for the party here today, but I pray to whatever gods are listening that the Democrats 1) figure out the Unified Democratic Field Theory and 2) be prepared to answer "Now what?" when they win - because I think if they accomplish #1, they can accomplish #2.

Of course it's early on a Sunday morning. I'm believing anything is possible.

1 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger Eric A. Stillwell said...

Give me Liberty or give me death?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home