Friday, February 10, 2006

Camaraderie Works

Bush and some military guy who'll help him remind everyone about 9/11.

I copied out this photo this morning and didn't mark the story. I think it was Bush announcing how he thwarted a terrorist attack in L.A. in 2002. It's already such old news 12 hours later that I can't find it on the site. That's what's so weird about all this - it's totally ephemeral. Its importance is only earned by the attention we give it.

So this photo would fit as well if you replaced the military guy's face with Michael Brown's. He testified before Congress today and seems to be sticking with a more belligerent version of "the dog ate my homework." Evidently, now that he's not constrained by a hefty government paycheck, he's being even more of a jerk than he was.

I guess he took the meaning of "public servant" literally in the old days with his restraint.

On the heels of my Betty Friedan moment, it's appropriate to point out the strength of the male personality. It would be hard to find a woman who would act like Michael Brown did today. Or even acts like Bush does in his most assured press conferences. What would it be like to have that swagger? I had my last day on a job today because I actually DID hold my own around hordes of male attorneys (their own special category) but eventually it tired me out. Who wants to live like that? Besides, any woman who acted like that would be put away. Case in point: Martha Stewart. She's as close as we've got.

In the Bush Administration, however, such alpha male behavior is critical. Cheney and Rumsfeld have perfected the, "He's an a**hole" smirk. I'd hate to be on their staffs. Can you imagine what it would be like to bring up a different idea in a meeting with that awaiting you?

So it's no surprise that the budget they released this week does what Cheney and Rumseld want: it contains a 7 percent boost for the war on terror's budget - and includes a $40 million in Medicare cuts that squeeze home health care providers and hospitals. Yippee! Those commies at PBS also reported that the Pentagon's budget has increased 50 percent since 2001. I love that stat.

But while the boys on Pennsylvania Ave do all this, they do protect the women folk. In the midst of the Muslim cartoon controversy, they kept Karen Hughes (Undersecretary of Spin for the Middle East) far away from the media. "She did not have any press availabilities" is how they put it.

I guess when the Middle East is involved is best that boys just stay boys and the women hide away. It's a different kind of affirmative action.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home